Snow Berries, Thieving Foot Bridges, and 12,000 Year Old Water

All rivers desire the ocean and toil to achieve their final resting place, where fresh water and salt blend. And so it is possible that one day my Canon A85 Camera will wash out to ocean and witness the sigh of the Dart River.
...But really i like to believe that 1,002 years from now, in the year 3007, that some lone archaeologist or hiker will one day stumble on this ancient piece of the past, frozen in the mountainous regions surrounding the Dart, and with future technologies will be able to uncover the images from our journey-- we will be like ambassodors for the present!

Anyhow. I was walking across a foot bridge on the second day of our 5 day trek when suddenly my camera (including my credit card, pocket knife, and all my cash) was plucked from my waist (by a covetous swinging bridge rail) and flung into the raging Dart river, immediately disappearing over multiple waterfalls and level 6 rapids. It was a big loss, but there was really nothing to do but laugh and carry on. It is just so remarkable that one step could have such a large impact. And when one is so far from cities, ATM machines, etc... none of it even seemed important. Needless to say, I am not sure we will have anymore pictures to post and we are going to be extending our stay in NZ in order to wait on my credit card replacement.

The hike was incredible. Snow berries to munch on and fresh glacial water that didn't even require a filter. Mossy forests, waterfalls, mountain passes. The pictures wouldn't even have done it justice.

0 comments: